What is WOIS/The Career Information System?
For over 40 years WOIS has been your trusted source for current, complete career and college planning tools. WOIS gives you access to:
- More than 600 detailed career descriptions
- Hundreds of detailed college training program descriptions, ranging from short-term certificate programs to PhDs. All training programs are linked to the careers they train for, and colleges nationwide that offer the training
- Thousands of detailed, nationwide college descriptions - including career schools and online degree opportunities
WOIS provides you with many options for starting your career and college search:
- Four career assessments
- National school search
- Reality Check - a fun budgeting tool showing careers that support your preferred lifestyle
- Careers & educational programs arranged by clusters - to show a wide range of related options
- Activities and worksheets to guide exploration activities
You can store your career and college research activities in your WOIS Portfolio. The portfolio also helps keep track of information needed for college, scholarship and job applications:
- Work and Community Experiences
- College Tracker
- And much more
WOIS is a private, nonprofit organization. We are located in Olympia, Washington, and have served our community of users for over 40 years.
Most of our products and services, including access to our on-line career information, are leased by our users on an annual basis.
Hundreds of thousands of students and job seekers benefit from our annually updated, detailed, and complete information, including:
- Secondary schools
- Vocational providers
- Counseling firms
We support you in many ways:
- On-site or telephone customer support, technical support and training are always free
- We can help you customize WOIS to meet your needs
What does WOIS stand for?
When the organization was started in 1974, we were a state agency, and WOIS stood for Washington Occupational Information Service. In the 1980s we became a private, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and changed our name to WOIS/The Career Information System. We kept the "name" WOIS because that is what people knew us by.
With exceptional customer service we support career and educational decision making by providing high quality information, tools, and resources.